As Published on LiveNews.com.au today … US President George W Bush may be leaving the White House, but he has bequeathed to the nation and the world volumes of unforgettable quotes.
Herewith are some of the more memorable "Bush-isms:"
JUST A TEXAS COWBOY
"They misunderestimated me."
– Bentonville, Arkansas, November 6, 2000
"There’s an old saying in Tennessee – I know it’s in Texas, probably in Tennessee – that says, fool me once, shame on … shame on you. Fool me – you can’t get fooled again."
– Nashville, Tennessee, September 17, 2002
"I want to thank my friend, Senator Bill Frist, for joining us today … He married a Texas girl, I want you to know. Karyn is with us. A West Texas girl, just like me."
– Nashville, Tennessee, May 27, 2004
"I’ll be long gone before some smart person ever figures out what happened inside this Oval Office."
– to Israeli journalists in Washington in an interview published May 12, 2008.
"I just want you to know that, when we talk about war, we’re really talking about peace."
– Washington, June 18, 2002
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
– Washington, August 5, 2004
"You know, when I campaigned here in 2000, I said, I want to be a war president. No president wants to be a war president, but I am one."
– Des Moines, Iowa, October 26, 2006
FRIENDS AND FOES
"For a century and a half now, America and Japan have formed one of the great and enduring alliances of modern times."
– Tokyo, February 18, 2002
"I’m looking forward to a good night’s sleep on the soil of a friend."
– on the prospect of visiting Denmark, Washington, June 29, 2005
"Thank you, Your Holiness. Awesome speech."
– Washington April 16, 2008 to Pope Benedict XVI.
"I remember meeting a mother of a child who was abducted by the North Koreans right here in the Oval Office."
– Washington, June 26, 2008
… but wait! There’s more …
Continue reading →